If your USB printer port went missing after disconnecting your Printer or turning Off your Windows 10, Version 2004 and 1909, 1903 PC then you are not alone..!
Ever since the latest KB updates were installed, Windows 10 users starting 1903 are experiencing a strange problem which has a pretty much easy fix. The issue is their USB printer port will disappear after turning off or restarting their Windows 10 PC/ Laptop. And it won't appear on Settings -> Devices -> Printers and Scanners -> Printer server and Properties -> Port tab. Result ? you won't be able to print.
So, What is the issue ?
Here is What Microsoft Says,
- If the driver for the USB printer contains a Language Monitor, the OpenPortEx callback function of the Language Monitor would not be called. As a result, the user cannot fulfill operations dependent on the operation of the Language Monitor.
- In the "Devices and Printers" control panel, when selecting [Print Server Properties] > [Port] tab, the port for the USB printer (such as "USB001") would not appear in the list of printer ports. As a result, the user cannot fulfill operations dependent on the existence of the port
How to fix this USB printer Port missing on Windows 10 Version, 2004, 1909 and 1903 ?
The answer is pretty much simple as said earlier, you have to connect your Printer before turning on your Windows 10 PC. That's it? ya that's it..
If you had already turned on, your PC then
1) Press Alt and F4 Keys Simultaneously.
2) Or Press Start -> Power -> Shutdown/ Turn off your PC.
3) Connect your Powered ON USB printer.
4) Turn on your Windows PC.
Any other Official Fix?
Currently, the above solution was suggested by Microsoft, and it claims they are working on a Official fix.
Don't know why Microsoft said, they will able to fix the issue only when the future version of Windows 10 Operating System was released. Yes, you read that right! You can expect a permanent fix only on the upcoming version of Windows 10 Operating System.
So, until then keep following the above steps.
Hope it is helpful :)